Tuesday, 8 May 2012

A second test sail on my lay down sailing boat!

I went out for a second test sail on my lay down sail boat this morning after making a couple of modifications.

I have made so many changes to this platform that it is looking rather a mess, however it is serving it's purpose well in allowing me to experiment with the concept of a lay down sailing boat before I possibly go ahead and build a second version.
Anyway, since the first test sail I have added a little side buoyancy and also centralised the rudder, it is now foot controlled as opposed to hand controlled.

I am very pleased with the foot control option as it keeps my hands completely free. After some advice from someone on the Boat Design Forums I have decided to fill in the transom cut out. The idea was that I could use flippers as an alternative propulsion method, however now that the rudder is centralised it is in the way so there is little benefit in having this cut out.

So, before a third sail I shall fill in the cut out and re design the rudder mounting to make it more robust. This is certainly a fun project and even though I have not been out in anything like a reasonable breeze, I think it is going to be great fun when I get it all together.

I have decided to name this boat the Rx3!

No comments:

Post a comment